Shishkin worked on the All-Weather this morning and everything went according to plan, so after discussing it with Nico and owner Joe Donnelly, we have decided that it makes perfect sense to enter him in the G2 Desert Orchid Chase at Kempton on 27th because if we don’t, we obviously cannot put him in a later date; but at this stage it is only provisional and he’s by no means certain to run there.

Everything has gone well with him and he appears in good form at home but he’ll school on Thursday and have another spin on Saturday by which time we will have a much clearer idea as to whether we run on Monday or wait a few more weeks for the Clarence House at Ascot. The good thing is we aren’t short of options and still have plenty of time and the Clarence House is always a nice race to win.

Many will say it’s ‘Henderson sitting on the fence again’ and I’m afraid they are right. The horse’s health, fitness and wellbeing is my only priority. Thankfully his trachea washes have all been clean and hopefully we are turning a corner but he won’t run unless I am 100% happy with him. He’s never the most flashy in his work but I must admit he did put in a good piece this morning which is obviously a very positive sign.

I wish I could offer a more definitive answer as to whether he goes to Kempton but at this stage I simply cannot rule it in or out. Should anything change I will, as ever, let you all know.