There are various forms of online poker including seven card stud, Omaha and Texas Hold’em just to name a few. With online poker, the most skilled player will win. It’s a pretty dynamic game so it’s best to come up with your own strategy while you’re playing based on different variables including how you think your opponents are going to play their hands.
The object: The main aim here is quite obvious – to win money. With online poker, your objective is to try and win the other players’ money, not the casino’s.
The play: With Texas Hold’em, you get some cards, make a bet, get more cards, bet again if you feel like you have a good hand and continue this process a few times. You can also bail by folding. This same you from throwing more money in.
A poker hand consists of 5 cards namely:
- High Card: In simple terms, the highest card wins; These being Jack, Queen, King, Ace in that order. If two players have the same high card and second-highest card then you have to take a look at the third-highest card and so on.
- Pair: A pair is a hand with two cards of the same rank such as 8 8 6 5 4. A pair beats a high card even if the rank of the pair is lower. If two players have a pair then the highest pair wins.
- Two pair: A two pair is when you have a hand that looks like this 5 5 8 8 Q.
- Three of a kind: This is exactly what it sounds like, three cards of the same rank, for example 6 6 6 10 9. As with pairs, multiple players having three of a kind, the highest one wins.
- Straight: A straight is a hand with consecutive ranks such as 2 3 4 5 6. An ace can also count as 1 to complete a straight, or as a high card to complete a straight where the other cards are 10 J Q K.
- Flush: All the cards are the same suit such as 8 10 2 4 of diamonds.
- Full House: A pair and a three of a kind.
- Four of a kind: Four of the same rank.
- Straight flush: A hand that has both a straight and a flush, for example 2 3 4 5 6 of diamonds.
- Royal flush: A straight flush composed of the highest cards such as 10 J Q K A of hearts. They don’t have to be necessarily in order.
If you need more help with learning poker, read our online poker guide where you will find quick and handy articles to boost your game play.